Friday, October 4, 2013

Goodreads is being abused

This is a post that Layce Gardner put on Facebook about some idiots on Goodreads.  I know a lot of people look at reviews there, so you might want to know what is going on.  Karin Kallmaker says she's had a similar problem.

Status Update
By Layce Gardner
I've kept pretty quiet about this, but I think people should know what is wrong with Goodreads. I was the victim of a gang of people who targeted me and my books in a game they play. I don't know if you call them trolls or what... This group of people (at least 50 of them that I can tell) pick on an author and their books. This is a contest they have. They shelve the author's books on shelves they have named "I would rather vomit than read this book" or "I would rather cut off my testes" or "I would rather eat shit than read this book." I'm serious. They have shelved all my books onto these shelves. Their object is to incite me so I say something, then they will converge on me and "destroy my career." This is their exact words. I left Goodreads without saying anything. Goodreads has recently been taking away these shelves. This incited the bullies (and yes, I call them 'bullies.' I have seen the posts where they say they want to destroy my career and wouldn't it be funny if I kill myself.) and now they have left one-star reviews on my books. They are not satisfied with the shelves any longer. As of now, I saw over twenty one-star rating on my book "Tats" left by these bullies in the last month or so. I couldn't bear to look at my other books and see if its happening to them too. Also, a person emailed me and said she heard at some Amazon site that these bullies left one-stars for me on Amazon as retaliation for what Goodreads has done. I don't know that there is anything we can do except be aware that these people exist. I hate to say it, but there are days when I think these bullies may have won their game. Of course I'm not going to kill myself. But they may have succeeded in destroying my career. I'm wondering if I'm the only lesfic author who has been targeted...

2 comments:

  1. Can I steal this and put it up on the goodreads book group that I mod for? I think this is something that needs to get out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a problem with you using it. Just be sure you give credit to Layce Gardner, since the original post was hers.

      Delete